The DSS Consulting Story: Intelligent Digital Solutions since 1998
We celebrate DSS Consulting’s 25th anniversary this year. Looking back over this quarter century, we’ve compiled the brief history of DSS.
“We establish DSS in October 1998: We are a team of twenty and we don’t have a single order – but we believe in ourselves, that what we do is good and that together we can achieve great things.”
- Our first major client is Magyar Telekom – later, we work for almost all major telecommunications companies.
- We articulate our core values, which form the basis of our company culture, and which have remained unchanged ever since: professionalism, effective communication, reliability and precision, teamwork, innovation skills and abilities, platform independence.
Financial Sector and Telecommunications: Data Quality, Data Mining, Business Intelligence
- In 1999, we start the first large-scale data mining projects in the telecommunications and banking sectors using Clementine (now IBM SPSS Modeler), the world’s leading data mining solution. We establish Hungary’s largest professional business data mining team, which works on projects in the banking, insurance, telecommunications and healthcare sectors – among others, launching the data warehouse project in OTP, Hungary’s largest retail bank.
- Later, we successfully apply our data mining algorithms in the fields of drug molecule research and signature recognition.
- At the beginning of the 2000s, we are the first in Hungary to work on data quality assurance: For this purpose, we develop DSS Quality Monitor, a comprehensive data quality solution. A few years later, we expand our solution with the iQualidator module, which automatically corrects errors already at the point of data entry.
- By this time, the DSS staff has grown to 40.
- Not much later, we launch our .NET-based development service. In 2003 we participate in Central Europe’s largest .NET project at the State Supervisory Authority of Financial Organizations (now part of MNB, the central bank of Hungary), then we develop our IBA (Intelligent Banking and Insurance Assistant) solution for the banking and insurance market.
- In 2005 we launch our Java-based software development service as well.
- In the fall of 2006, we move to a new office.
Entering the International Market: Europe, USA, Middle East
- In 2009 we win the European tender and start working for our first major customer in Stockholm in the field of knowledge management. Later, we sign a large-value framework contract with them after winning another European tender.
- In 2013, we develop an investment planning and financial analysis system for Oman Oil Company, which manages investments worth billions of dollars for dozens of companies.
- In 2014, we launch our IT contract staffing service, helping our clients by augmenting their IT teams with our own experts – both in Hungary and international
- In 2015, we develop a platform for DZZOM (today Scipher Medicine, partly founded by Albert László Barabási, a renowned network researcher) in Boston and start working with the German software company Saxonia Systems (now owned by Zeiss) for the German market.
- In October 2018, just as we prepare to celebrate DSS’s 20th anniversary, we are informed that Lufthansa Technik AG has selected us for one of its key software development projects.
Industrial Digitalization and Data Privacy
- In 2015, the DSS team grows to 75 people. It is in this year that we launch our software testing service and start our first project in the industrial sector.
- In 2016, we have strategic meetings with Bosch and Bosch Rexroth about cooperation in industrial digitalization – then we start working on the development of one of the key Industry 4.0 solutions at our first major German industrial partner, Bosch Rexroth AG in Stuttgart. Soon after, our strategic cooperation with Bosch Rexroth in Hungary also begins, during which we jointly develop several industrial digitalization solutions.
- When the GDPR regulation enters into force in 2018, GDPRoofed, our data privacy management solution, is already on the market, and soon afterwards, DSS Data Anonym, our data anonymization solution, is also finalized.
- A few years later, already during the COVID pandemic, we start cooperation with Thyssenkrupp, another strategic client in the industrial sector.
COVID: Growth, Not Crisis
- By the end of 2019, two of DSS’s three largest clients are international companies, with whom we have excellent cooperation, planning further joint projects.
- In the spring of 2020, the COVID pandemic puts our projects abroad (and also several projects in Hungary) to a sudden halt. However, we view the pandemic not only as a threat, but also as an opportunity: The DSS team copes well with the situation, so we can even increase our revenue compared to the previous year.
- We win large tenders at the National Bank of Hungary, who, thanks to our excellent development team, consider us the best IT supplier.
- We renovate and expand our office to comfortably accommodate our constantly growing organization.
- In 2022, we join further major foreign projects as designers and developers, and we implement one of our own Industry 4.0 solutions at one of the Bosch plants.
- At the beginning of 2023, we have a team of 115 working together for the success of our customers.
“When we ask our clients why they like working with us, we always get the same answer: Because of the company culture, because of the way we are, because of the way we work.”
The DSS Consulting Story Goes On
Our 25-year history shows that DSS has a uniquely strong and collaborative corporate culture, resulting in a team that constantly evolves and keeps pace with technology. However, it’s important to point out that our focus is on our customers–we don’t insist on technologies, we insist on delivering the best possible solution to our customers.
Why not have a chat over a cup of coffee? We’d love to hear about the challenges your company is facing.